XTERRA started in the USA in 1996 successfully combining Mountain bike Triathlon and cross country running. The Cyclists bring to the competition a spirit of outdoors and the Triathletes a spirit of training. Together they quickly develop a common spirit and attitude called XTERRA. The XTERRA events have rapidly evolved. Having invested and developed in North America on a global scale the hope is to develop a qualifying circuit for the world Championship that take place annually in Maui, Hawaii.
While developing the phenomena XTERRA the trials in VTT and cross country, an off road community has been born composed of athletes sharing an outdoor spirit as a way of life and a passion shared with friends family and fellow athletes.
For the amateurs in age group (every 5 years) each category winner automatically qualifies for the world championships in Maui. They must validate their wish to participate by paying the inscription fee of 600usd. If they refuse the place, it will be offered to the runner up and then to the 3rd place athlete.
Winning slots for the World Championships in Maui (Hawaii)
- 12 places for women from 15 to 70 years and more
- 13 places for men from 15 to 75 years and more
For the Elite (professionals), the prize-money is as follows , same for men and women :
- 1st man and 1st woman : $1.200 per athlete
- 2nd man and 2nd woman : $900 per athlete
- 3rd man and 3rd woman : $700 per athlete
- 4th man and 4th woman : $550 per athlete
- 5th man and 5th woman : $400 per athlete